Written by Meta Savage
Are you tired of the same old boring cardio routine you’ve always done? Have you stopped seeing results from your regular fitness routine? Maybe it’s time to try an indoor cycling class!
Indoor cycling is one of the fastest ways to burn calories and shed fat. According to spinning.com, an hour of riding a stationary bike can burn an average of between 420 and 620 calories! Although the number of calories burned in a cycling class depends on several factors, studies have shown that people who take a cycling class burn more calories on average than by doing regular cardio exercises. WebMD recommends taking 3-5 classes a week for best results or adding 1-2 classes a week into your current workout routine.
Improved heart health is perhaps the most important benefit of taking a cycling class on a regular basis. According to WebMD.com, “If you are at risk for heart disease, a solid aerobic workout like indoor cycling can help bring down your blood pressure as well as your ‘bad’ (LDL) cholesterol while helping raise your ‘good’ (HDL) cholesterol. The American Heart Association recommends getting 150 minutes of a good cardio workout each week (which you can split up any way you like) but check with your doctor first.” Many people can stop taking blood pressure medications (with the approval and recommendation of their physician, of course) after taking regular cycling classes over a longer period!
Studies have also shown there is a link between regular aerobic workouts—like indoor cycling—and decreased blood sugar levels. This is an important fact to consider for anyone who is diabetic or at risk of becoming diabetic. Regular aerobic exercise helps the muscles metabolize glucose better, which results in lower blood sugar levels.
Cycling classes also release endorphins in our bodies, which are responsible for that “good feeling” people often get after an intense workout. This release gives people a general happy feeling and contributes to a reduction in stress levels. Have you ever heard of a “runner’s high?” Endorphins are responsible for that feeling. The same thing happens in a cycling class!
Perhaps the best part about indoor cycling class is the atmosphere. All our Spin classes have great music and even better instructors! They are all about keeping the classes fun and exciting while maintaining the safety of every person in the room. The lights are down low, and the music is rocking! Here is what you can expect when you come to take one of our cycling classes for the first time:
- If you are new, arrive to the class about 15 minutes early so the instructor can bike fit you. This ensures you will have the safest, most effective, and most comfortable ride possible.
- We offer 30, 45, and 60-minute classes. If you are new, we recommend you start with 30 minutes. If after 30 minutes you want to stay longer, then that’s great! If 30 minutes if good enough for you, wonderful!
- Bring water! You’ll need it!
- You are never expected to keep up with the instructor. All we ask is you set your class intention when you walk into the room that you will keep your legs moving for however long you want to stay. You will never be made to feel like you have to keep up with the instructors or anyone else in the class. However, the atmosphere is so exhilarating that you will want to try doing all the moves! Ultimately, it is your ride on that bike, and as long as you’re moving in a safe manner, the instructors are happy.
- Be ready to make friends! Each class is an adventure where everyone is a team and finishes the rides together. Don’t be surprised if you leave your first Spin class with a new gym buddy!
These are just a few of the benefits of indoor cycling classes. We would love to have you join us for one of our Spin classes! They are truly unlike any other cycling class in the area! We offer them Monday through Saturday at various times during the day. Please feel free to call us at 903-838-4697 for more information!